Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Things that make us smile
















Max speed limit 130 - this was brought in recently, and it was derided by most Territorians as a blow to personal freedom.





The Red Hat Club, a world wide movement of women over 50 seeking to have fun with like minded older women who do not want to just sit at home, be reasonable and act their age. We became aware of the group on our first day in Darwin, outside Government House, which luckily for us, was open to the public for that one day of the year. The club is inspired by the Jenny Joseph's poem :
Warning
When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a hat that does not go, and does not suit me
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves and satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats and
things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends for dinner and read the papers.
But may be i ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.


Sleeping policemen are called "traffic calmers".





The miles and miles of beautiful sea shore and the sea breeze that makes the heat tolerable.





The omnipresent lizards and the comical way they seem to run on their back legs only.

No comments:

Post a Comment